Sunday, April 11, 2010

Don't Call Me

If there is ever anything wrong at your house that needs fixin'...don't call me! I got further confirmation of this feeling today as I tried to replace the roller shades in the kids rooms only to have one not fit (too small, which is the worst!) and the other lost its spring tension and I am still working on fixing that problem. I know how to fix the last part at least! It will just take me time. So, let's got through the list of failures that I have had with home improvement:
  1. Tried to replace the insides toilet and it leaked and leaked and leaked and leaked some more. Finally used a whole tube of silicone caulk and it worked like a charm! It only took me about 4 days and several trips to Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace hardware!
  2. Hung shelves in the living room and a few months ago one of them just fell off the wall. No kids around, but it went smashing to the floor. Finally, the other day I put the shelves back up and used super duper brackets and a stud finder. Seem to be holding for now!
  3. Installed garbage disposal in sink and have since had to re-install two times! Gets loose and then starts making a pool under the sink! I think I have isolated the problem and it was definitely installer error!
  4. Hung my bike in the garage and that came tumbling down not long after! Better wall mounting screws later it is still suspended in the air in the garage.
  5. Replaced screen on the front door and since then the dog has jumped out the door and caroline liked to stick her head outside through my fixed screen! Three attempts later I have half a front door screen that is tight and as it should be and another that flaps a bit in the breeze. At least it keeps the kids and the dogs inside for now!
Needless to say, I am not quite mr. fix-it, but I am persistent! I keep trying until I get it mediocre! It stays and it works, but you just have to wiggle it the right or pull it just so or talk nicely to it or pray to God that whatever I fixed does what it is supposed. I really think there should be a law that says that all male members of the Gray family not named Les (my carpenter, handyman grandfather) are not allowed to attempt to fix anything and should be barred from Home Depot, Lowe's and any other hardware store. Well, I am off to go try and fix that stupid shade in Caroline's room! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh..let me just add that your genes are flawed. No way should you have a tool box. I am not sure you should own glue OR duct tape. Oh! Oh! I maybe should not have mentioned duct tape while you are trying to fix a roller shade. Haaaaaa!!!

    ReplyDelete